Thursday, January 24, 2013

January 24, 2013

Ever notice how friends come and go? This seems to happen a lot, and although it seems weird and somewhat disheartening, I think there is a purpose for it.  A few days ago I was talking to my sister about how people enter our lives for support during specific times, as well as how people grow distant for similar reasons.  During high school, I can recall growing pretty close with a number of individuals, most of which I have lost contact with now.  But as I sit and reminisce, I realize that they were all important pillars during times of confusion and even pain.  Even now, I am noticing that the dynamics of my close friendships are changing.  I think this is why they say that the friends you stick by in the long haul are the ones you meet in college, because you become friends based on similar interests or personality traits. Although it is quite possible for the lucky few individuals to maintain strong childhood friendships, friends generally do not stay close going into college because we all begin to figure out who we are as individuals.  Now, of course this seems a bit cynical, but in reality it is a great thing, because once you begin to realize what you want in a friend, you will meet individuals that match this "friend profile" astonishingly quickly.  I have also noticed in my personal experience that mere acquaintances from the past may pop back into your life and become your most important friend yet. This is the case of my best friend and I, as we both knew of each other, but did not share many similar interests.  Now, however, as we have both grown up we are very similar and are basically the same person.  Its friends like these that you want to keep by your side, even if the waters get rough :)

1 comment:

  1. P.S. feel free to comment if you have had similar situations!

    ReplyDelete